[development] Code freeze?

Laura Scott pinglaura at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 20:02:34 UTC 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 11:06 AM, Larry Garfield wrote:

> The slow uptake of D6 is due mostly to everyone and their brother
> taking the opportunity to rewrite their contrib modules at the same
> time as upgrading to D6, or right before doing so.  Views, Panels,
> Project*, CCK, filefield, imagefield, and a half-dozen others have
> major improvements planned in contrib space that are progressing;
> they just take time.  Those, in turn, block dozens of other modules.

+1 from a community marketing perspective as well. I'm glad there's
general consensus that with the tail wagging the dog, Drupal will
benefit from a slowdown so D6 can get established in the marketplace
before pushing D7 out. However, I'm -1 on making this a policy towards
a new 18-month release cycle. I feel rolling with the flow makes
sense. If D8 is coming along well, there will be little to gain by
delaying it in the interests of a general slowdown.

My two bits.

Laura