[development] Advanced DB features

Ken Rickard agentrickard at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:24:44 UTC 2008

Earnie-

(I work for one of those corporations.)

But that 100 ms latency would only affect non-Drupal data being pulled into
the application -- say an inventory database housed in Connecticut with a
web app server in Georgia (actual example).

Even with such far-flung enterprises, we don't put the _Drupal_ database
server that far away from a web server.  To do so is to invite problems.

And that kind of latency for external data needs to be either cached or (as
suggested) stored.  There are all kinds of ways to do this in Drupal -- as
Matt, Neil and I discussed at DrupalCON Boston.

I suppose I can imagine an enterprise that forces database storage to be in
a separate unit from web servers, but that seems like a legacy technology
mistake -- an artifact from an old IT worldview.  Our NOC would never dream
of putting the Drupal database on a separate switch from the web/app server.

In our structure, the only real use I can see that would cause this latency
is remote authentication against LDAP  -- which, by design, is stored in a
separate infrastructure from our web hosting -- but there isn't anything
that Drupal can do about that kind of latency.

I suspect that the folks on this thread are talking about different things.
Which leads to much confusion and doesn't help anyone.

Now, can Drupal learn from and exploit the value of stored procedures --
possibly, given the requirement restrictions that Larry mentions.  In fact,
we need people with such experience to be active developers on the project.

--
Ken Rickard
agentrickard at gmail.com
http://ken.therickards.com