[development] Slow down with the official releases of contrib already, ok? ; )

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu May 22 16:58:01 UTC 2008

I've noticed quite a few projects that seem to think the best time to
make a new official release is after every CVS commit.  While I'm
happy to see people actually making official releases, please don't
do this. ;)

A) Constant stream of noise for your users thinking they have to keep
upgrading all the time (via update_status, etc).

B) Wasteful of resources (burns up diskspace on d.o for all the
tarballs, bandwidth for all the downloads, etc).

C) Wasteful of RAM for sites using one of your modules with
update_status (update_status needs to download and parse an XML file
describing the history of all your module's releases -- as the # of
modules on a site grows, and as the number of releases of your module
for a given version of core grows, the RAM consumption starts to go
through the roof -- see http://drupal.org/node/238950).

D) A new tarball after every CVS commit is exactly what the
automatically re-generated development snapshot releases are for:
http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs/releases/types#snapshot

Please don't cry wolf.  Only make a new official release when it's
really worth it for everyone to upgrade.

Thanks,
-Derek (dww)

p.s. Learn about this and other best practices for release management
by reading the very concise 2 page handout about the topic I gave out
at my talk at the Boston DrupalCon:
http://drupal.org/files/maintain-release-handout.pdf

p.p.s. If anyone wants to help fix update(_status)?.module to be less
RAM hungry, please join us over at http://drupal.org/node/238950.