[development] Certify Drupal for use in Government (US) Projects

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 20:10:36 UTC 2008

I think the agency in question just didn't get the memo.  The U.S.
Government, including the Department of Defense, is using open source
software in a big way.  See the following links:

 * http://www.gcn.com/blogs/tech/47100.html

-- Quote from the above link:

''It's worth noting, though, that the House Armed Forces Committee addresses
the matter.

"The committee acknowledges the availability of proprietary software and
encourages its development and acquisition as necessary and appropriate. The
committee believes, however, the widespread implementation of an OSS
standard will not only lead to more secure software, but will also foster
broader competition by minimizing traditional constraints imposed by an
overreliance on proprietary software systems," it stated.''

 * http://www.terrybollinger.com/dodfoss/dodfoss_html/index.html

-- A 2003 report by Terry Bollinger of The Mitre Corp. on the use of FOSS in
the U.S. Dept. of Defense.

The Dept. of Defense is likely the single largest spender in the Drupal
market; it's just behind the scenes.

According to the same database referred to above, Windows had 694 security
holes in the last 3 years -- considerably more than Drupal over the same
period.