[development] Menu Tree Access Control?

Josh Koenig josh at chapterthree.com
Thu Apr 2 23:33:02 UTC 2009

Hey all,

I'm about to launch into yet another custom module build, and I wanted
to see if I'm missing the obvious and this thing already exists (or
has been somewhat built).

The use case is to allow access to nodes (node_access) based on their
placement within a drupal menu tree. Seems obvious, but keyword
searching through available modules didn't turn up anything that
seemed to match. I did locate the "Menu Subtree" module which seems to
provide some complimentary functionality in terms of restricting the
areas of a menu tree into which new nodes can be placed:

http://drupal.org/project/menu_stp

For access, it points to fago's menu_per_role module, but this is
about access to menu links, not node permissions. In the other
node-access modules, I didn't find one that seeks to allow/deny access
based on menu position. So that's what I'll begin working on.

Implementation seems fairly straightforward based on
hook_node_access_records() and hook_node_grants(). Assuming I'm right,
the next fun thing would be looking at integrating this with
menutrails.module so it can work for broader classes of nodes and not
just those placed directly into the menu tree.

Please let me know if I'm missing something obvious. :)

cheers
-josh