[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Mon Apr 20 13:15:17 UTC 2009

> <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:
> > As Drupal 5 and 6 are very good, rock solid releases, people are
> > satisfied and very busy there, much less is the need, the drive and
> > the availability for core development. This means less patches are
> > written. Also core got bigger. Very, very few people touch
> > actions/triggers, fields, filter system, openid or for that matter,
> > menu just to name a few. Once a patch is written , it needs
> > a review.

> I completely agree. However, how do you suggest we make this better?
>
> Dmitri

I completely agree as well.  Core is way ahead of contrib and far ahead of
actual implementations.  Only a minority of contrib modules has really
adopted all new features of D6 thus far.  There is an obvious gap between
possible implementations and actual implementations of core features in
modules.

This also explains the fact that only a few contrib developers have the
energy to work on improvements to Drupal core that would actually improve
our APIs for contrib.

The answer to solve this is simple, but somehow disliked by some:

Let it mature.

i.e. defer the code freeze for D7.  I know that I'm not the only one who
would prefer that (but capitulated in disagreement).

sun