[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Michael Favia michael at favias.org
Mon Apr 20 17:10:12 UTC 2009

Eric Schaefer wrote:
> Why am I not participating in reviews of core patches? Naked fear. How
> could I possibly understand whats going on in core?
Fire up your debugger (i use eclipse + pdt + zend debugger) and step
through the major operations of the bootstrap process to discover the
big picture. Then walk through the loading of a node that is decorated
with cck fields and taxonomy terms. Finish up your tour with the editing
of a form (node, admin) to get a good look at fapi and the form
processing involved in form.inc and you have a VERY strong foundation
from which to build. Most people involved in core don't understand 100%
of it. Many specialize in a particular area. This is why we have reviews
and the testbot.
> One reason for this is the fact that core is a moving target.
This is a conscious and purposeful decision on the part of the project
it will not change.

> If I am not understanding the USE of those APIs how can I judge
> patches to the code behind them?
api.drupal.org lists each function and in the declaration is detailed
everywhere that function is also used in core. This is a good start but
your IDE can help you alot more if you use one especially if you put  a
breakpoint in your function and start debugging to see how various
functions arrive at the location and what the variables are set to at
that time.

Please take the time and try it just once. Install D7, apply a couple
patches, review their changes and you'll be surprised how quickly you
fall in place. We want your help. I normally find that future
contributors are simply scared away by the challenge certainly not
actually unable to rise to it. Pick a patch that seems interesting to
you. If you ever need help find me in IRC and I'll always be happy to
lend a hand. -mf