[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:33:49 UTC 2009

As core matures, we might see more patches getting stale.  I think the
reason is (at least) two-fold:

 1) More patches compete for attention, but fewer of these patches are
truly important.  In this case, patches getting stale is not
necessarily a bad thing because history has proven that important
patches will eventually bubble to the top for the right reasons.
However, I understand that it might be frustrating because it takes
longer, and some patches don't make it at all.  As a core contributor,
I think you have to trust that you patch will eventually bubble up --
it just takes a bit longer for people with the same pain point to
weigh in and participate in the review process.  It is also important
that you convince other people as why your patch should bubble up --
this is something a lot of people can get better at.

 2) Drupal is getting increasingly complex.  You already hinted that
the test framework increases the barrier to participation for aspiring
developers.  However, it is not just that -- things like the new
database abstraction layer, the registry, the form API, the new menu
system, the theme preprocess functions, load multiple and jQuery make
Drupal a better platform, but also increase the barrier to
participation.  As a result, fewer people are capable of reviewing
patches in great depth.  In ways, complexity is a disease.  We have to
strive towards making Drupal easier to develop for while maintaining
its functionality and flexibility.  Fighting unnecessary complexity
and abstractions is increasingly important.

Webchick and I have been pretty good at managing the RTBC queue.  It
used to be several pages long, but the last couple of months we never
had more than 20 Drupal 7 patches marked RTBC (as far as I remember).
We only have 8 Drupal 7 patches marked as RTBC at the time of this
writing.

But even today, with many patches in the 'code needs review' state
(not in RTBC state), core continues to be a fast moving target.  I
don't think we should speed things up, or we risk de-railing contrib,
and many of the contributed module authors in the process.  I think we
progressing at a good pace, and I think many important patches have
gone in.  Already, Drupal 7 promises to be a great release.

--
Dries Buytaert :: http://buytaert.net/