[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Mon Apr 20 18:15:38 UTC 2009

On 20-Apr-09, at 2:04 PM, Earl Miles wrote:

> Angela Byron wrote:
>> We have this kind of decentralized development model, where one or
>> two people are solely responsible for code with basically zero peer
>> review. It's called contrib. And it's notoriously filled with sub-
>> standard, shoddily documented code that needs to be closely
>> inspected by individual site maintainers before being deployed on
>> any serious production sites.
>
> I stop following your argument here. The only way this argument
> holds up is that if *all* of contrib is substandard crap. It is not.
> There is a level of contrib that is above that, and there is a
> reason those particular pieces of contrib are above that. Chew on
> that.

And this level contrib is the kind that has enough users so that peer
reviews occur naturally, or at the very least peer QA after the fact.
As we've noted, peer review and peer QA is *not* happening with these
core subsystems, which makes it a lot closer to the "darker, scarier"
contrib. So I'm not sure what there is to chew on. :)

-Angie