[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Nathaniel Catchpole catch56 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:24:39 UTC 2009

I agree with Earl here. Several of my patches, including quite big
popular patches that people have bought me beers for, have only got in
because I'm a stubborn git - either re-rolling them 50 times due to
patch conflicts or writing reams of arguments to get them committed.
Not to mention nagging people time after time on irc to get reviews
and/or advice.

Plenty of other people give up (either on the individual patch or core
as a whole), and then those patches either sit in the queue for years
or sometimes get revived by another developer, and then they can still
sit in the queue for another year or two.

This doesn't mean that /all/ lingering patches are lingering for the
wrong reasons, but there's a lot of overhead getting patches in other
than just writing the code.

Having said that, none of this overhead exists for reviewing patches -
and it's slow review turnover which leads to a lot of the lingering,
and being someone who reviews a lot of patches is one of the easiest
ways to get your own patches reviewed faster.