[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Mon Apr 20 19:21:59 UTC 2009

>From my point of view, this discussion has some real value, but targets
other areas that could use improvement.

Braindump:

It's not about the speed of patches being committed.

It's about core patches lacking review, and core evolving in ways and areas
that leave contrib behind.

It's about contrib development not being able to catch up with core.

Core development is driven by some core developers.  Only a few of them
being contrib maintainers.

But the real applications live in contrib.

Contrib developers need to catch up with new core APIs and features before
they can think about and work on improving core.

But next to catching up with that, they also have to maintain, solve issues,
and develop new stuff for their projects/applications.  By doing so, they
identify areas in core that need improvement.

At the time they realize what needs improvement, new core APIs are released,
so they start from scratch.

Contrib should influence and drive core development.

Currently, I experience the opposite.  I have to decide whether I want to
improve my XYZ module or whether I want to work on core without taking into
account what XYZ module would really need in X months when new core is
released.

If I do both, neither core nor my module is mature.

Gotta go.

sun