[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 21:36:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com> wrote:
> Dries Buytaert wrote:
>>
>> As core matures, we might see more patches getting stale.  I think the
>> reason is (at least) two-fold:
>>
>>  1) More patches compete for attention, but fewer of these patches are
>> truly important.  In this case, patches getting stale is not
>> necessarily a bad thing because history has proven that important
>> patches will eventually bubble to the top for the right reasons.
>
> If the 'right reasons' are because the developers got frustrated with the
> process and quit pushing their patch, whereas other developers are extremely
> stubborn and managed to push their patch through anyway, then sure. But just
> because some developer is bullheaded enough to wade through the crap doesn't
> mean that's the right reasons.

That, and time.  Core committers, as the DCDC comment noted, are those
with more time to devote to the effort.  It's tough to find the time
to contribute to core because the entry point is high, but
additionally because it's painful to spend lots of time on a core
patch, only to see it languish.  The same amount of effort can create
and maintain several contrib modules.