[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Nathaniel Catchpole catch56 at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 20 21:44:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> Something else which is worth to discuss.
>
> In private conversations, various people have expressed concerns that
> our release cycles are too long, and that, as a result, they are not
> interested in working on core.  If they have a problem, and they fix
> it in core, they have to wait 1-2 years before they can actual use
> their own improvement in a production environment.  In a lot of cases,
> people don't bother with it because they can't wait that long.
>

> In other words, moving to shorter release cycles could help.  Not only
> does it increase the incentive for people to work on core, it could
> also provide additional focus.

With testing, dbtng  and Field API I think it would have been
impossible to get them all in during the six month release cycle, and
hard to do any of them properly in that time either (unless they were
committed the first week) - actually writing tests and converting
modules has taken a long time, and that's been a good thing as all
three APIs are maturing during the process.

However, having made all those big changes in one release, it'd be
really interesting to consider a shorter cycle for Drupal 8. Some
things which are looking less likely for Drupal 7 (views in core, a
non-crappy comment and forum module) would be great to have in a
shorter timespan than another two year release cycle.

Nat