[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Sam Boyer drupal at samboyer.org
Tue Apr 21 00:44:04 UTC 2009

On Monday 20 April 2009 15:30:03 Nathaniel Catchpole wrote:
> One issue with this is the way our user profiles work in terms of
> highlighting contributions. I'd been contributing to core for more
> than a year before I got a CVS account, and that was when one of my
> core patches removed a slice of user.module on the condition it was
> maintained in contrib. So for a long time I never had any projects
> listed on my profile page, nor any entries in 'track code'. I've still
> only got commit access on a handful of projects, and don't actively
> maintain any of them - a situation I'm quite happy with. However if I
> posted a couple of crappy modules and committed loads of tiny patches
> to them, then to the casual observer that'd make the user profile look
> a lot beefier.
>
> The only way that code contributions to core get measured is when Greg
> Knaddison parses commit logs and puts everything into a spreadsheet
> once or twice a year - our commit model also completely breaks sites
> like ohloh. Personally I'd really like better statistics on how many
> people are reviewing/submitting patches, getting them committed etc.
> since it'd at least help to spot clear trends when having discussions
> like these. And I think it'd be a bit of incentive to review and post
> patches more if there was some way of having that data recorded more
> firmly than just in commit messages themselves.

Heh. So I had a project that I started on last fall which would do exactly
this kind of thing - collect richer statistics on drupal participation - and
I'm gonna have to finish if I want to get my degree. Which reminds me that
I've been meaning to ask if someone couldn't point me towards any colossal
discussion(s) we've had about this kind of thing of thing in the past, so that
I can digest what's already been thrown around.

cheers
Sam