[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Steven Peck sepeck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 07:56:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Stefan Nagtegaal
<development at standoutdesign.nl> wrote:

> Op 21 apr 2009, om 08:20 heeft Steven Peck het volgende geschreven:
>
>> <snip></snip>
>>
>> And Stefan, I too miss the old front page where it wasn't all site
>> implementations and Drupalcons but things people found interesting,
>> but that's just what happened.
>>
>> -sepeck
>
> Happy to hear that Sepeck, sometimes I wonder if it is just me who is
> experiencing this.
> Drupal is not for users anymore, drupal is for making money and profit. One
> example is the "Support the Drupal redesign! Donate Now"-button, which is
> currently cycling over the frontpage. Why can't we - as a community - build
> the new drupal.org design? It gives us a good reality check why drupal is
> (too) hard for true designers.

Now now, the redesign is complex and time consuming.  People are busy,
so outside perspective is useful.

> That said, you could wonder that if some module is moved from core to
> contrib and dies silently, if it wasn't in core too long already.
> If nobody feels the urge to keep a certain module up to date, then you could
> argue about its usefullnes.

I still use them.  I know a number of people I support do as well.

If it's been working fine then it hasn't needed much attention, but we
are still have a large non-professional, minimal coding group of
people that use Drupal so I would rather see a gradual
enhancement/generalization of core to absorb these remaining
specialized modules.

> I would rather see modules like views(1|2|3).module in core, which are very
> well designed and maintained and deserves to be in core, because of it's
> quality and filling the gap which there currently is in core. Building
> views/page-layouts is something drupal needs. Although, I do not think that
> the current implementation is right, the functionality surely is.

Different discussion.  But on par with how CCK migrated into core as
it and the community matured around it.

> Getting rid of modules like the help.module is not that smart imo. Dries
> started a monster project to make drupal more accessible and easier to use
> by attracting Mark Boulton and Leisa, which I think is a good thing.
> Although, I do not doubt that they could make things easier to use, but I'm
> pretty convinced they could not make things as easy that the help texts are
> becoming redundant.

I liked the old built in help system, but we've gone 3 different ways
since then.

> Kind regards,
>

> Stefan

Steven