[development] Very concerned over Drupal's core development

Matt Farina matt at mattfarina.com
Tue Apr 21 13:04:21 UTC 2009

Two thoughts occurred to me on the community.

First, we are no longer what the community was 3 or 5 years ago. The
front page of drupal has changed with a changing focus and need.
Instead of a few thousand users there are hundreds of thousands of
users. The front page of d.o has a different place in the ecosystem
than it used to. But, we still need a place for some of those things
that used to get posted. Is g.d.o the place for that?

Second, we seem to have a bit of an identity crisis. Is drupal a
framework or a CMS? If it's both should they be cleanly separated? How
does this and should this work? Moving the CMS like features into
contrib, as some have suggested, seems to be centered around this. If
we have a drupal framework and a drupal cms do we have maintainers for
each piece? How does this interaction work?

Ah, growing pains. Now we just have to figure out how to bribe the
kids to clean their rooms (i.e. review patches and clean the queue).