[development] Some of core to contrib?

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Tue Apr 21 14:58:27 UTC 2009

> I am actually planning to create a 6 backport of OpenID and Aggregator for 7
> (depending on the outcome of http://groups.drupal.org/node/21221 and
> http://drupal.org/node/293318). I'd use project/openid and
> project/aggregator for these backports.

Right. That's what I wanted to use, too.

> I need to have these modules on 6 to deploy them on production sites - the
> only way to make sure stuff works. Working on HEAD without deploying changes
> in months is scary.

See, that's why I campaign for this change.

> So let me recap your suggestion, Aggregator DRUPAL-7--1 would be packaged
> with Drupal 7.x, there would be an Aggregator DRUPAL-7--2 that would contain
> new features more or less mirroring HEAD.

That entirely depends on the maintainer. Core would come with
DRUPAL-7--1 and then what the maintainer does with the project is
her/his own doing -- the only two restrictions are that DRUPAL-7--1
should only get bugfixes and DRUPAL-8--1 needs to tag along with HEAD.
What you do with DRUPAL-7--2 and/or DRUPAL-7--3 is absolutely your
call.

> How would Aggregator DRUPAL-7--2 be packaged? It would need a similar
> infrastructure like a Drupal contrib project, right?

It would be just a package exactly like any other. Already, if I am
not mistaken, if you put a module of the same name in
sites/all/modules then it will win over the core modules. If that's
not so anymore, it'll be too easy to change.

Regards

NK