[development] Some of core to contrib?

Alex Barth alex at developmentseed.org
Tue Apr 21 17:56:44 UTC 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Daniel F. Kudwien wrote:

>> Looks like we could try to do this without changing HEAD
>> development at all - if Alex starts with OpenID and
>> Aggregator 2.x branches in contrib, then anyone who wants to
>> could do the same for the other optional core modules. Then
>> if it works we could look at better infrastructure around it.
>
> No insults, but we don't really want to start wild forks of core
> modules
> with arbitrary maintainers and features in contrib.  If we just do
> that, the
> quality of those forks won't differ from any other contrib module,
> and I
> would not see nor understand why those forks can't use a different
> module
> namespace (like any other module that thinks it can do better).

I'd call it a backport. The same namespace makes it much easier to
maintain the backport. The incentive for keeping the backport up to
Drupal core standard is that its very reason-to-be is validating
changes being made to HEAD and using these changes in the current
release version.

Any 'fork' in contrib with the same name as a Drupal core module only
worries me in so far as it's using up valuable namespace for exactly
doing that.

> Additionally, system module's updates would need to be properly
> split up
> into .install files of the respective modules or they'll run
> unintentionally
> (i.e. twice for straight back-ports of stuff in HEAD).
>
> sun

Alex Barth
http://www.developmentseed.org/blog
tel (202) 250-3633