[development] Some of core to contrib?

larry at garfieldtech.com larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Apr 21 22:01:21 UTC 2009

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

>> Should we add new features to aggregator? Maybe not. But it needs an
>> architecture overhaul.
>
> Ok, it you can make it more API-like while not bloating it too much, I
> can live with that.
>
>> One that is better done in contrib, as it turns out.
>
> Still not sure I buy that. How should a core committer review the
> resulting patch? It will be a "take all or leave it" thing. And I
> think that the result might be "leave it".

Which brings us back to my earlier comment about roadmaps and
submaintainers who can be trusted to implement them without the core
maintainers having to take the time to sweat over every single flipping
line in every single flipping patch, and because people know that they
can't make decisions about implementation because every single line can
be second guessed and vetoed by just two very busy people, so the patch
stalls waiting for feedback from them that doesn't come because they're
reviewing 15 other patches.

Part of the problem with a shortage of reviewers is that there's a very
small number of reviewers who, well, matter. :-)  And there's an
increasing amount of code they have to deal with.

--Larry Garfield