[development] modify permissions using hook_menu_alter()

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 28 21:02:01 UTC 2009

Quoting Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net>:

> Now, enough of this. There is no menu cache as it was in D5. There is
> the router table that can be rebuilt and the navigation trees are
> cached but this caching does not affect routing.

But the routing is built only when visiting some pages or after
emptying the cache.  It isn't built dynamically from hook_menu so
therefore even though you call it routing that table and not the
result of hook_menu is what is used to create the dynamic links on the
pages.  During development of a module, if I add a menu item without
visiting the menu page I don't get to see the menu unless I empty the
cache.  Therefore I call it a cache (right or wrong) since I see the
results of the new menu item after clearing that cache.

I don't think the idea bad, on the contrary it is very good.  It just
needs a new understanding of the functionality.  What I miss though is
some method to dynamically change the menu item before the page is
displayed.

--
Earnie
-- http://r-feed.com/           -- http://for-my-kids.com/