[development] node_delete on module specific node

Charlie Gordon cwgordon7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 21:12:39 UTC 2009

In order to delete nodes of a certain type (say, "quiz"), you can
execute a database query of the following form:

$result = db_query("SELECT nid FROM {node} WHERE type = '%s'", 'quiz');
while ($node = db_fetch_object($result)) {
  node_delete($node->nid);
}

However, this will encounter several scaling problems for sites with
many quiz nodes. You may want to investigate using the batch API for
something of this scale.

On the other hand, you probably shouldn't be deleting the nodes quiz
module created - "uninstalling" a module means removing any module
settings or data stored within the module: core poll module, for
example, does not delete its nodes upon uninstalling. You seem to be
aware of this in your message, and express concern that quiz nodes
promoted to the front page still exist; I would argue that it's not the
quiz module's place to be handling this problem.

This opens up a larger debate over whether node-type modules should
delete their own nodes upon deletion. In this case, I'd advise following
core's example and not worrying about orphaned quiz nodes.

-Charlie