[development] Request to review Guidelines for writing MySQL and PostgreSQL compliant SQL

Jean-Michel Pouré jm at poure.com
Fri Aug 21 11:42:51 UTC 2009

Dear friends,

Just a quick note that I added some information in the manual:
Developing Drupal using PostgreSQL:
http://drupal.org/node/338676

Especially, "Guidelines for writing MySQL and PostgreSQL compliant SQL":
http://drupal.org/node/555514

This page lists major differences between MySQL and PostgreSQL syntax.

Some issues can be fixed in D7 (some may already as I did not follow
development). I saw compatibility functions around. Some automatic casts
may be added also in D7 PostgreSQL schema. If this was done, please
inform me and I will update the pages or update them yourself.

Some need fixing in PostgreSQL. All issues require attention from
developers.

Would it be possible to review http://drupal.org/node/555514
to make sure anyone agrees on the standard SQL to use for both MySQL and
PostgreSQL.

When it is done, I will contact PostgreSQL hackers to ask for
modifications in PostgreSQL core. Some modifications seem to be in the
scope of possibility.

Besides, as stated before, I think we would gain to flag minimal
PostgreSQL version to 8.4 to benefit from PostgreSQL 8.4 new versions
and from a better compatibility with Drupal.

PostgreSQL new stable release is PostgreSQL 8.4, even if Debian flags it
as unstable. I could upgrade some 500.000 pages sites to PostgreSQL 8.4
without running into a single problem. SO IMHO let us not stick to an
old PG version.

This is a minor issue, please focus on http://drupal.org/node/555514

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel