[development] Consolidating duplicate contrib modules for D7

Ken Winters kwinters at coalmarch.com
Tue Dec 8 15:38:55 UTC 2009

Huge -1 to free-for-all commits in contrib.

If you want to contribute code to a module, do it by providing a patch
in the issue queue.  The reasons for this are legion:

* The code needs really needs to go through more than one person
before it is released to the public.  The issue queue is the
appropriate way to handle that.
* The maintainer still really should be the only one creating release
tags, and for that matter is the only one that can edit the project
page and create the release nodes.
* Sometimes a change can be great on the surface but have horrible
consequences.  The person who is most likely to know this is the
maintainer, because they have the most experience with that code.
Note that core is the extreme of this, with massive interdependence
and 2 committers.
* A corollary to the above: the ability to commit is clearly not a
requirement to contribute, which is clearly evident in the number of
core contributors.
* If anything I'd say this would discourage people from contributing a
module, since other people breaking their code is now a hassle they
have to deal with.  A broken patch file in an issue is neither
stressful nor urgent.
* This change doesn't solve any real problem (especially eliminating
forks).  If the maintainer is not doing their job, there is a process
for replacing them.  If that process needs work then fine, but it at
least mostly works when it is used.

- Ken Winters