[development] How to port modules? was: Drupal 7 "When it's Ready"

Nathaniel Catchpole catch56 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:04:13 UTC 2009

>> Dries, also, said that releasing drupal 6 without drupal.org being
>> updated to it was a mistake he doesn't want to see happen again.
>

> Why it's happen ? Because big missing, "Views, OG, Panels etc...etc...",
> because backward compatibility API doesn't exists.

Views 2 (in Drupal 6) isn't compatable with Views 1 (in 5.x). A 'backwards
compatability API' would have had zero effect, possibly a negative effect on
the Views upgrade process.

Organic Groups AND Panels both rely on Views - so could only be updated
fully once Views was at release candidate stage.

I really wish people would familarise themselves with the issues at hand
before mouthing off on this list about "we need to do this [useless thing
which would have zero effect]". Even a tiny bit of research would show what
the issues are, and it's not API changes in core - it's manpower helping out
the commonly used modules to get upgraded.

If you want to see contrib modules ready when Drupal 7 is, you can start now
by providing and/or testing patches for your favourite modules to get them
upgraded. There are also modules with development versions or even beta
releases for Drupal 7 listed here -
http://drupal.org/project/modules?filters=drupal_core:103&solrsort=title_sort%20asc-
again I'm sure their maintainers wouldn't turn down patches when
there's
API changes in HEAD.

Nat