[development] Can .htaccess discard part of a path?

Nancy Wichmann nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 10 16:08:49 UTC 2009

I am getting lots of requests like this:

http://www.example.com/index.php?q=cgi-bin/printOriginal.pl&file=/alpha/beta
/gamma/rage_prevention.shtml

The file argument is a valid page on our old site and is itself redirected
with a ReWriteRule in .htaccess. However, cgi-bin/printOriginal.pl does not
exist and I have no idea what it was supposed to do (well, I can guess print
the page). We get lots of these requests for different pages. I have tried a
simple rewrite rule and a URL alias to prevent the 404 processing, but
neither has fixed it.

Is it possible to design a rewriterule that essentially discards the
"cgi-bin/printOriginal.pl" and just serves up the requested page (well,
after its own rewrite rule has worked)? So this would become

http://www.example.com/index.php/alpha/beta/gamma/rage_prevention.shtml

Nancy E. Wichmann, PMP

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. -- Dr. Martin L. King,
Jr.