[development] Doing hook_update_N() when module is installed

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Nov 13 18:03:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 Nancy Wichmann wrote:

> My suggestion would rather be to just call the appropriate hook_update_N()
> within the hook_install(). It may look a bit of a kludge, but it is the
> safer thing to do.

And anyone finding code where the hook_update_N is called from within
hook_install should open a critical bug report immediately.
Hook_install is reserved for installing the database schema.
Hook_update_N is reserved for updating the database schema.  It is not
a safe thing to call hook_update_N from hook_install.

--
Earnie
-- http://r-feed.com/           -- http://for-my-kids.com/