[development] CVS Approval Policy: was Re: new features in D6 core?

Damien Tournoud damz at prealable.org
Wed Nov 18 15:35:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Moshe Weitzman <weitzman at tejasa.com> wrote:
>>> Perhaps we should ask them to check a checkbox "I agree to maintain this module".
>>
>> As nice as it may be, this is simply unrealistic.
>
> I think it is realistic and reasonable and prudent. IMO,
> cvs.drupal.org is not a place for code that you want to share briefly
> and forget about. or at least, lets segregate that out to something
> other than contrib/modules.

This calls for the set up of an "incubator" repository, where modules
can mature and stabilize before getting into the "mainstream"
repository. Projects could be promoted from the incubator to the
mainstream repository via a review process.

After all, we have an handful of modules that are very heavily used
and can be considered as critical for the community, and a "long tail"
of more targeted, special-cased modules that forms the richness of the
community, but that don't have the same quality / support
requirements.

Between Views (the most used contributed module) and Admin Role (#100
contributed module), there is a 1/20 usage ratio. I think it would
make sense that those "high profile" modules (and other modules, the
usage is just a data point here, there are obviously other things to
consider) comply with higher standards, and be identified as such.

Damien Tournoud