[development] Move Dev List to groups.drupal.org

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Wed Nov 18 18:30:25 UTC 2009

I'm pulling this out as a separate thread...

Jenniver wrote,

Shai Gluskin wrote:

>   3. *Move dev list to g.d.o.*   [...]

I can sympathize with your desire to have a more searchable output for this
list, on-line forums such as g.d.o are a huge barrier to participation
compared to email lists.

So if this list is moved to g.d.o and we want it to still be a useful list
with immediate feedback and lots of participants, we would also need to
provide a way for people to participate fully via email (i.e. make it so it
looks and acts just like an email list). In which case, the threads will
look/act/search like email, and I don't think we will have solved anything.

   --Jennifer

My issue with the search results at
http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development is not the formatting; it's
the content. Searching on terms like "module development" the top results
are from March. I mean, there really is something wrong.

Given the delays in upgrading to the new d.o. design, I'm not sure where
things stand. But I know there were definitely discussions about tweaking
the notifications system and also adding Mail Comment (formerly Mail2Web):
http://drupal.org/node/634074. Mail Comment would allow for replicating list
serve functionality for folks who don't want to go to g.d.o. And again... I
don't care about the formatting; I want the transparency, the integration
with d.o. web sites, it running on Drupal, and also the much more personal
and community feel you get at g.d.o with user pics/profiles etc. With Mail
Comment we can have the push of the list serve but the better functionality
of g.d.o.

Shai