[development] Move Dev List to groups.drupal.org

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Wed Nov 18 20:18:36 UTC 2009

Kieren or others,

Doesn't a properly configured combination of: Comment mail --used-to-be
Mail2Web (http://drupal.org/node/634074), Messaging (
http://drupal.org/project/messaging), and Notifications (
http://drupal.org/project/notifications) get us exactly what we need? What
would a resuscitated project/og2list get us that this combination of modules
doesn't already provide?

I'm not saying that it's a trivial installation, especially given the scale
of things. But I think, as others have hinted at, that after things settle
down and the new g.d.o is launched with the d.o. upgrade --, it will be time
advocate for improvements in the g.do. notifications system. I personally
agree with Earl that clicking on a link in an email is fine. But I think we
need to have an open discussion about what is the best notifications system
that will serve the broadest range of personal work-flows so that people
would feel comfortable dumping Mailman.

One other point in the general discussion. Some are arguing, "I like list
serves, I want to do this kind of thing on email." Remember that all the
people who will only follow this kind of conversation via RSS are not
participating here, by definition, because Mailman doesn't do RSS.

Shai