[development] Drupal, SimpleTest and Continuous Integration

Yannick Warnier ywarnier at beeznest.org
Sun Nov 22 17:04:04 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I'm the lead developer of a GPL e-learning system called Dokeos, and
occasional contributor to the Dokeos-Drupal module [1].

A few (12) months ago, we (Dokeos team) had to choose between PHPUnit
and SimpleTest to cover our system with unit tests. As the Drupal
community was in the same situation at that time, only a few weeks
ahead, we decided to follow and chose SimpleTest.

Unit Testing is not our final goal, and we want to implement something
like Xinc [2] or PHPUnderControl [3] to have Continuous Integration, as
it's called (a way to check when new code introduces regressions,
basically).

However, both seem to support better PHPUnit (I haven't tried
PHPUnderControl, but I have broken a few teeth on SimpleTest + Phing +
Xinc already, mainly because of conflicting versions of SimpleTest and
complexity of the configuration files for Xinc).

To get to the point, I would like to know if anybody has already
configured that type of combination in the context of Drupal and would
be so kind as to give me a link to some kind of report, examples or
plain documentation about this.

In any case, I will be looking at the problem myself (so far it's been
only team members) and report here if it works, so it can be used with
Drupal too (but the question is more like if Drupal has a few weeks in
advance on our investigation there as well).

Cheers,

Yannick

[1] http://drupal.org/project/Dokeos
[2] http://code.google.com/p/xinc/ (LGPL)