[development] re CVS requirements

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Wed Oct 28 19:13:58 UTC 2009

> An overabundance of modules with overlapping functionalities
> is not a CVS problem, it's a module/project parsing and
> rating problem, something that DrupalModules.com helps
> address and what the D.o redesign is also intended to address.
>
> A friendly policy would be to first make it easy peasy to get
> people involved and excited about contributing their own itch
> they scratched, and then get them involved in collaborations
> and consolidations. After all, much of what ends up being
> overlapping functionality is because the developer had a
> project that needed X and did not have the time or resources
> to try to get Y to change to solve his/her use case. I feel
> we should let that developer serve his/her client and
> contribute what was done, and let improvements and
> consolidations happen within the community.

I disagree.

- We want healthy stuff in contrib, because everything else is cruft.

- We want working stuff in contrib, because users already have very hard
times to find proper, working stuff.

- We want to encourage people to join forces with others, because that is
what the overall success of the Drupal community and the Drupal product
boils down to.

sun