[development] Getting rid of core hacks for drupal upgrade to happen. Need tips on the process.

nan wich nan_wich at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 4 17:04:52 UTC 2010

Indeed, I have to echo this sentiment. Many years ago, in a previous life, I was a systems programmer on large IBM mainframes. It was quite common practice then to hack the operating system. There were a few "hooks" but many times those were simply inadequate to do what some people thought were good ideas.

As time went on, it became a major challenge (as in hassle) to update the operating system. Some companies had armies of systems programmers just to maintain these hacks. I don't know if any ever actually sat down and figured out if they were really worth what they were spending to keep those hacks in place.

But I did when I went to a new job where the system hadn't been updated in four years and new computers that were on order (it could take 2 years then) made it mandatory to do so. As I began working on the hacks that were in place - and poorly documented, if at all - I realized that some were really not worth keeping and others could be reworked in such a way that they used real hooks.

All through this process I kept hearing "we've always done it that way." On the day we cut over to the new operating system (it was a big deal then), I had a tee-shirt made that said "We aren't going to do it that way any more."

Words to live by: "NO core hacks!"
More words to live by: "No PHP pages!"
It's not just words to live by - it's religion.

Nancy E. Wichmann, PMP

From: Yuval Hager yhager at yhager.com

So before you dive in, if you are in position to, consider to make this a make
D6 or break decision to the customer.