[development] Advice about "transactional" login for Kiosk

Randy Fay randy at randyfay.com
Tue Apr 13 21:55:46 UTC 2010

Hi - I'm working on a library system and adding a "kiosk mode" (possibly
using the Kiosk module <http://drupal.org/project/kiosk>)

   1. The site essentially presents the same information whether a user is
   logged in or anonymous.
   2. The Drupal site uses a custom authentication plugin; authentication is
   actually done on the remote backend library server
   3. A regular user logged in over the internet to a normal Drupal account
   can do things like request books, check account, etc, using Drupal the way
   it normally works.
   4. A kiosk user (probably anon user) can do things that require
   authentication, but it must be a one-time authentication to the back-end
   server. We're calling it "transactional authentication". Basically, they'll
   never do a Drupal login, but when they want to do something that requires
   authentication, they'll provide their library number and password for one
   specific transaction (like requesting a book).

I'd sure appreciate your suggestions about how best to do the "transactional
authentication" part. It's pretty easy to start hacking at, but perhaps
someone can suggest an elegant approach to this.

Thanks,
-Randy

--
Randy Fay
Drupal Development, troubleshooting, and debugging
randy at randyfay.com
+1  970.462.7450