[development] Migrate users from Thickbox to Colorbox

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Mon Apr 19 17:25:44 UTC 2010

> What are your tips and suggestions on how to best
> help/encourage the 17000+ Thickbox users to migrate?

Whatever you do, you will not be able to encourage or force users to
migrate.  Most users are just happy when they manage to get JavaScript stuff
like this to finally work properly on their sites (if at all).  "Never
change a running system."

> * Is a hook_upgrade() function to automatically update the
> "Display fields" settings a good idea?

If I would migrate one of my sites, then I'd have to re-configure,
double-check, and manually test all occurrences.  Automagical updates always
scare me a bit, FWIW.  Since I will need to properly re-configure my site
anyway, it's not worth the trouble for you as maintainer to implement such a
upgrade path.

> * Should I after some time unpublish the releases of Thickbox?

Unless you are strictly enforced to do this (security issues), releases
should not be unpublished.  You can configure, which releases are supported.
A notice on the project page would help new users to choose the right
module.

> * Any other tips?

Yes, but we'd have to lock Stella, tstoeckler, others and me into a room
without windows and networking to talk about it.

sun