[development] Drupal's target audience

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Tue Jan 5 16:58:44 UTC 2010

> These impede the day-to-day operations for more experienced users.
> I suspect that these are items that are going to be disabled by
> most people in my position, and replaced with the Admin Menu
> module.

Depending on the end-users of your site, you may not want to entirely
disable Toolbar and Overlay, but rather limit them to a certain user role.
Meaning:

- Site builders can use admin_menu.

- Site moderators and users can use whatever.

Unfortunately, this scenario isn't really supported by Drupal's user roles
and permissions system, since user role permissions are usually set up with
additive permissions (and merged together for the current user) - unless you

- either duplicate all permissions in two roles and assign those roles
exclusively (either one or the other) to those separate user groups

- or have two additional roles which only contain the respective permissions
to use admin_menu or Toolbar/foo.

It gets even messier if you think about per-user options.  Luckily,
admin_menu can still be suppressed.  But AFAIK, neither Toolbar nor Overlay
allow other modules to suppress them.

sun