[development] Why is drupal_page_footer() triggering cron?

Ernst Plüss ernst.pluess at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 18:11:26 UTC 2011

Hi

In D7 I discovered at the end of drupal_page_footer()[1] cron jobs are
started. On our website this triggers the search index being updated,
which can take minutes. Needles to say that the user doesn't want to
wait for this to be finished.

I'm curious whether cron is relay called at the end of each page
request? My understanding of hook_cron is that it is only called by
cron.php.

How can I make sure that this does not trigger any long running cron jobs?

Regards
Ernst

[1] http://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/includes--common.inc/function/drupal_page_footer/7