[development] trouble destructing xml

David Metzler metzler.dl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 04:58:56 UTC 2011

Regarding introspection..... Not quite true.  I use print_r on simplexml objects all the time with dsm.

drupal_set_message('<pre>' . print_r($xml,1) . '</pre>');

although it sounds like the drupal community is pretty "down" on its use.   I found it useful because it gave a lot of these xml as an object functions long before the other libraries mentioned were around.  Using DOM to iterate hierarchical xml is just silly, as it will take youi twice as many lines of code to do pretty much anything.

The other thing most people don't know is you can get the interior text of a simplexml element with a simple string cast.   (string)$node.

The iterators are exactly what makes it useful.

FYI: The xpath mehod of simplexml would've solved the users problem with the straight property access.

I'll start giving qp a look , but this community has frowned on bundling third party libraries with drupal contrib modules in the past.  Have we changed our mind regarding this one?  I no

Dave