[development] Experience with mod_fcgid

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:52:00 UTC 2012

Hey Peter,

Your 2 cents were spot on. I've now transitioned all my sites to nginx &
php-fpm and I'm stunned at the results. Here are the advantages I'm getting:

1. Nginx and php-fpm are totally independent, they can each run as separate
users and communicate via sockets or TCP.
2. php-fpm can be configured to run as a separate user for every virtual
host. (bottom line? A user who gains php access to a site can't do any
damage to other sites on the same server)
3. php-fpm can override php.ini configurations per virtual host! php-fpm
itself can be configured per virtual host, so you can control how many
php-fpm processes that would go to each virtualhost based on site
statistics (have a heavy site? increase its php-fpm config without
increasing it for any other site on the server)
4. Unlike apache with fastcgi, nginx with php-fpm shares processes per
virtual host, so APC is usable!
5. Detaching nginx from PHP means that all static content is served without
6. Nginx is event-driven, even with thousands of connections, nginx memory
footprint is nigligible (something around 15 MB RAM!)
7. Some more benefits I can't remember :)

Configuration wise, I can't say it's been a walk in the park. With so many
live sites, I had my hand on my heart most of the time and did have
down-times during the process no matter how much I tried not to. Nginx is
not your simple apt-get install and go, so it's a big leap forward.

But the end result is well worth it. All in all, my sites are blazing fast
now. All I can say is WOW! Without going into formal benchmarks, I would
say it's 5x speed increase! And my memory footprint has gone down from 2 GB
to 1 GB. If I double the php-fpm processes for all my sites, footprint will
probably go up, and speed will boost to around 7-8x speed increase! Where
on earth was this web server before? Recommendation to all, get on the
train :)

Best Regards,

--
Ashraf Amayreh