[documentation] Contributing Book and IRC meeting

Addison Berry drupal at rocktreesky.com
Fri Jul 25 18:26:28 UTC 2008

Crud, I originally sent this earlier in the week but sent form the
wrong email address so it didn't go through....

Hey folks,

Sorry I've been off radar for a while now. I am currently on the road
but want to get geared up to hit the ground running on the new
Contributing book once I settle back in at home. I wanted to update
folks on what I've been doing/thinking as well as set up a time for an
IRC meeting.

IRC MEETING
My schedule on weekends is pretty bad right now. I'd like to schedule
a meeting for the weekend of August 9/10. I'm also open to a weekday
but not as many people can make those meetings. Please let me know if
you prefer the 9th or 10th and we'll set a date and time at least a
week in advance. (And this time I'll make sure I show up. ;-))

NEW BOOK
I have created a new top-level book page at http://drupal.org/node/281873
. It is not on the main handbook landing page and will not be until we
get it fleshed out. You can see a list of all the top-level books
though by just going to http://drupal.org/book and it is listed there.
Note that it doesn't need to be named "Contributing to Drupal" and I
have started an issue in the queue to get that hashed out: http://drupal.org/node/285811
.

The page consists of the overall outline we determined several months
ago with links to each main section's issue in the queue. If you are
inspired to work on this book, please have discussion and do as much
of the "grunt" work in the issue queue and not on the Handbook page.
What is the "grunt" work I speak of?

GRUNT WORK to GET THIS DONE
For each section of the new book we need to:
1) Identify existing pages/sections that can be moved in (e.g. under
Talk tot he Community we have "IRC". That would map to the existing
page, "How to use IRC effectively" at http://drupal.org/node/108355.)
In the issue queue for each section we need a list of the outline
pages with a link to the existing stuff listed. If they are not an
exact match, but close, add them to the list too. Similar to http://drupal.org/node/240251#comment-796689
.

2) Once we see what we already have, we can identify where the gaps
are and what new content needs to be written. This will mostly be
landing page type things.

3) Make the top-level book page into a "landing page style" for the
Contribute tab.

3) Pick a day when we can go through and rearrange the book according
to the link outlines we've built.

We need to research and list all of this stuff before just moving
things since we want to cause as little confusion for users as
possible. By sussing it all out ahead time, discussing any tricky
issues that come and then making all of the moves in one day we can
minimize the endless shifting sands effect.

THE BIG MOVE
We need to actually move all of the handbook pages to their proper
location in the new book. This will need to be a limited number of
people (like one or two) so that there isn't a) mass confusion and b)
stepping on toes. Once the move has been made we will add the new book
to the Handbook landing page and make it the target of the Contribute
tab.

We will also need to announce it on the mailing lists and forums.
Probably the biggest headache for users will be shifting all of the
CVS stuff to the new book so I want to make sure we give people as
much information in as many channels as we can. We'll still miss lots
of people but we can at least make a best effort. Obviously we will
also need to be liberal with links from the older, established books
to the new book as well.

I am going to start working on this in earnest next week, once I am
home from travel. I would really like to get at least the first "big
move" and publishing the book done before DrupalCon Szeged. Then we
can recruit and have lots of cleanup tasks for folks to dig into
during the Docs Sprint at the end of the conference.

- Addi