[documentation] Problem With One of the Main CVS Pages

Shari webweaver64 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 04:27:37 UTC 2008

I thought I would add what someone who doesn't know anything about HEAD
or CVS thought when going to the page...

Reading what is there, I would have assumed it was talking about the
latest unstable release of version 6. Because I didn't know for sure
what HEAD referred to I moved backward, along the breadcrumb, to "Drupal
and CVS", I still wasn't sure if HEAD was referring to 6 or 7. So I
clicked on CVS FAQ it isn't answered there but there is a note: "-
What's "HEAD"? What should I use it for?" as something that needs to be
answered. So then I went back, and clicked on "Drupal CVS branches and
tags" to see if it was explained there. I found "The HEAD branch is
special and is used to refer to the latest development version.," still
doesn't answer if it's 6.7 or 7.x. There was a link for a more detailed
explanation, which I clicked on and got this:

"In /Drupal core/, HEAD is the name given to the version of Drupal core
being worked on by developers right now. Of course, now that core is
only using two digits for the version number (starting with the 5.0
release), there's no longer any ambiguity about what the next version of
core will be called, so the use of "HEAD" to identify a release is no
longer necessary. For example, now that the official 6.0 release of
Drupal core is out, everyone knows that the next version of core under
development will eventually become the 7.x release series, so the
nightly snapshot releases are more properly called "7.x-dev", not "HEAD"."

The 1st part seems to be saying that it would be the next 2 digit core
version which would mean it would be 6.7, but then it says it's 7.x-dev,
so I'm still not sure what HEAD refers to. Is it 6.7 or 7.x?

Also the title, actually doesn't mean anything to me either. Checking
out from the main repository, wouldn't be something I would have any
idea of meaning, and would most likely ignore it. I would suggest
Getting files from the main repository, Downloading from..., Access the ...

I thought I would share my entire process, so you can see why some of
this does indeed need to be made clearer if the intention is for anyone
visiting and wanting to learn, to be able to understand. I know, I don't
know or understand some of the lingo, and am willing to move back, or
attempt to find the information, however as in this case even trying to
find the information left me still not understanding, and if I have to
work harder then this, it's likely to be something I just let go.

Now that I just typed all that, I reread the original post, and noticed
that Shai had placed stable release in italics, this leads me to believe
that 7 is what you get when you dl HEAD. If HEAD is indeed 7, I would
suggest something like this to explain it: Once a version has been
released e.g. 6.0, all further version release under the number 6, are
considered "Stable" releases and not "Development" releases. The HEAD or
development release would be the next /full /number e.g. 7.x

Shari