[documentation] Proposal to open up editing rights

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sun Sep 7 16:43:22 UTC 2008

Addison Berry wrote:
>> The idea is to try this out as a test. Here is my general plan. Help
>> me shore it up:
>> Open up general handbook page editing to authenticated users (since
>> they can only edit Filtered HTML nodes, the Getting Started Guide and
>> other more "official" resources would be off-limits) for a trial
>> period of one month. Publicize what the deal is, and then assess the
>> number of reversions needed, and decide if we will continue or close
>> back up. We can extend the test a month at a time until we are sure of

+1 on moving forward with this plan (and especially with a limited time
to start).

I would like it if there was also some kind of rating system on the
pages. Something like:
- "This is so good we're calling it 'Official' and locking it."
- "This has been through loads of edits, vote to make it 'Official.'"
- "Brand new page, edit me and make me better."

Yes, it's more tedious than a straight Wiki-style set of pages. I think
it would help to let people voice their opinion without having to leave
a comment or edit the page. We ran into similar kinds of questions on
The Linux Documentation Project when I was active a few years ago. This
was the solution that was proposed at the time. Another idea was to have
the ability for new authors to "lock" their pages so that they could not
be community-edited (but could be edited by the core LDP team). I think
that's less relevant here though.

regards,
emma

--