[documentation] SUMMARY for Proposal to open up editing rights

Addison Berry drupal at rocktreesky.com
Tue Sep 9 22:26:53 UTC 2008

I wanted to summarize the discussion around the proposal to open
editing rights to all authenticated users. There were a lot of ideas
that came up (and not all are in this summary because they may have
veered off the target topic. Don't fear they are still being compiled,
just not on this topic. :-))

So, the proposal as originally put forth:

Open up general handbook page editing to authenticated users for a trial
period of one month. Publicize what the deal is, and then assess the
number of reversions needed, and decide if we will continue or close
back up. We can extend the test a month at a time until we are sure of
our decision and just keep communicating with the community about what
the progress is.

There were two overall sentiments in reaction to the proposal. If I
can be broad for a moment, we basically had one reaction of "Yes,
let's give it a whirl." and a second reaction of "Maybe, if we can
"control" it somewhat."

I got the overall feeling that those who responded were generally in
favor of exploring it, though with some with hesitation. Here are some
ideas that were put forth in terms of people's reservations/ways to
make it a more successful run:

"a mechanism to keep an eye on the diffs"
We do have the Recent updates page at http://drupal.org/handbook/
updates and thanks to Moshe there is a patch to add a direct link to a
page's diff from that table (http://drupal.org/node/304667).

"adding some verbiage about the style guide and anything else that
would be helpful in the node form for book pages"
We can definitely add something using hook_form_alter or a theme
override. We would need to provide the patch for infra to apply, so
anyone willing to pop up and take that on, would be appreciated.

Related (in a hook_form_alter kind of way): Making revision logs
required. Again, we should be able to add a simple validation rule to
the drupalorg.module. We just need someone with a little bit of time
to make a patch.

There was also a feeling from quite a few of wanting to have some sort
of "speed bumps" built in to the process. One suggestion was to have
even more restrictive access to the current doc team rights. Though I
got the feeling most did not agree with that direction. Some
suggestions put forth for regular authenticated users being
"moderated" or otherwise not directly given access were:
- revision moderation where edits could be made but the edits needed
to be approved by the doc team before going "live"
- "assigning each doc team member a manageable number of random
handbook pages to "adopt for life" and monitor for spam/vandalism."
the "owner (or owners?) would then be notified when chnages are made
to their pages.
- a "time delay" for new accounts. So that new auth users would have
to wait a certain period prior to gaining creat/edit rights.
We could also institute a rating/flagging system on the pages.
Something like:
- "This is so good we're calling it 'Official' and locking it."
- "This has been through loads of edits, vote to make it 'Official.'"
- "Brand new page, edit me and make me better."

Another suggestion for fast-tracking certain users, if speed bumps are
in place, is to "automatically add module authors to the documentation
permissions."

There are a lot of ideas here and the thing is we need to decide is if
instituting these restrictions is necessary in order to proceed. It
isn't just a matter of how we feel about open access, but all of these
"more restrictive" suggestions/enhancements will require signicificant
coding and working with infrastructure to get them into place. that
is, it won't happen any time soon and definitely won't happen with
some real elbow grease. These go well beyond a few lines of
hook_form_alter. The current infrastructure is not set up to do these
kinds of things. I'm not saying they can't happen ever, but simply
that they can't happen now and we would need to dedicate ourselves to
underlying grunt work to get any of these systems in place.

Regardless of "speed bumps" or not, we also touched upon the notion
(also in the original proposal) that there will be restricted access
to certain sections of the handbooks. The getting started guide is a
primary target for this, although the Them guide was also raised as a
candidate. I think this topic bears a touch of thought to have a clear
list of "restricted areas" before we open editing.

So, with all of that here is what I see as the next steps:
1) I think any way we go that the two modifications to the node edit
form suggested should be implemented. These two can be opened as
issues on the infra queue and patches need to be rolled:
--- Make revision logs mandatory.
--- Add additional "help text" on the book node add/edit screen.

2) We should also identify which areas of the handbook will be
considered "restricted" (e.g. the Getting started guide)

3) Decide if we wish to proceed without "speed bumps" for the one
month trial period or wait until we determine which to pursue AND get
them implemented on d.o.

My personal feeling is that we give it a try for the trial period and
if things seem too chaotic, close it up and then pursue the more
restrictive options. We can leave item #3 open for discussion the rest
of this week and make a final decision on Sunday, Sept. 14. Feel free
to argue back and forth all you want but also please give your clear
vote for or against the original proposal as it stands (open editing
to all auth users) before Sunday. We will tally responses from the
mail list and those present at the IRC meeting on Sunday for a final
decision by the team.

- Addi (add1sun)