[documentation] Redefining the "docs team"

Addison Berry drupal at rocktreesky.com
Wed Jan 7 15:16:37 UTC 2009

Some of you may have seen some recent issues where I have started
"redefining" the docs team. Basically now that we have open editing,
everyone with a d.o account is on the "docs team" as far as I'm
concerned and I'd like to start phrasing it that way. We have also
removed a number of people from the "documentation maintainer" role on
d.o if they hadn't made any edits in a while since it just isn't
really necessary for most docs work anymore. In one of the issues,
Boris started editing the Join page (http://drupal.org/contribute/documentation/join
) to define things a bit better and I went ahead and did a bunch more
edits on that and other docs pages to make it clearer that everyone
can help with docs and that being "on the team" means more
responsibility and commitment. I have been denying recent requests to
join the team, explaining how much they can already do, and would now
like to see people give specific reasons to be added to the elevated
privileges of maintainer. I'd just like to do more in the way of
review of the work they have done and see if they have gotten a feel
for how d.o, the community and the docs work before adding privileges.

The people who do have these elevated rights, I'd like to put in the
more "correct" light (IMHO) of being the "maintainers" that the role
states, or even calling them "docs admins." Currently the docs admins
don't have a ton of elevated rights, but they can access the
Documentation input format (which allows images and tables) and they
have the ability to revert changes on the Revisions tab. In addition,
once we sort out the specifics of controlling placement of new pages
in the handbooks, that will be an admin task as well. As we head down
the road of the redesign there may be other things that we'd like to
have limited access to as well.

I guess I'd like the d.o community to be our "docs team" and the folks
that do extra work and have higher access would be the "docs admins."
If we notice someone doing a bang up job we can invite them to become
an admin and, of course, anyone can still request, we'll just look
things over a bit more.

So, what do you think?

- Addi