[drupal-support] CVS Procedures and Protocols

Gunther Herzog storysmith at softhome.net
Mon Aug 8 17:11:04 UTC 2005

Hello Group,

  I am a long-time programmer (Apache/PHP/MySQL
  and quite a few others, since before there was
  such a thing as Windows, or even MS-DOS).

  That said, I'm a newbie. I've been working with
  Drupal for just over a week, and though I am no
  stranger to working in a group, with version
  control, it has all been in corporate
  environments, and using Windows-based control
  systems like StarTeam and Microsoft Visual
  SourceSafe.

  I've already found and fixed several bugs I've
  uncovered in assorted modules I've installed,
  and so my questions:

  1) What is the shortest learning curve to
  submitting a patch? I do have CVS-NT and
  Tortoise (though the latter is not installed
  yet). System is Win2K Pro.

  2) Since I want to work with something
  resembling production-quality, I'm on 4.6.2, not
  CVS, though some of the modules I've patched are
  CVS because they aren't available for 4.6.2 --
  how are all these related? Are there functions
  and features in Core CVS that the CVS modules
  rely on?

  3) What is the most accepted protocol for
  updating another author's module(s)? Email the
  author directly first? Report a bug but don't
  mention the patch unless there is a long wait
  for issue resolution?

--
Best regards,
 Gunther                          mailto:storysmith at softhome.net