[drupal-support] Problem (hacker attempt to access FrontPage extensions--and then some)

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Aug 9 16:32:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Gunther Herzog wrote:

HI Gunther!

>   Ever since installing Drupal, my log seems to be
>   bombarded daily with requests for (in order of
>   frequency:
>
>   _vti_bin/_vti_aut/fp30reg.dll
>   stat-cgi/awstats.pl
>
>   and just lately...
>
>   scripts/..\\..//winnt/system32/cmd.exe
>
>   Luckily none of these accessible (or even
>   installed) on my reasonably-secure Linux/Apache
>   box.

>   Are these well-known security loopholes? I've

Yes, probably from virus/trojan infected windows machines.

>   This seems to have done the trick thus far, at
>   least when it comes to keeping my Drupal log
>   from clogging up. Hopefully the "Gone" header
>   result will prevent repetitive attempts as well.

I doubt it.

>   Though I am seriously contemplating more
>   aggressive tactics, such as:
>
>   * Auto-redirecting them to their own IP address.
>   * Auto-reporting them on appropriate abuse
>   groups on USENET

Well, the latter would probably cause some unwelcome results.
I used to create scripts in place of the requested files that servered
their answers v e r y slowly in the hope to slow the requstign machine
down.

Cheers,
	Gerhard