[drupal-support] can drupal do yahoo groups?

Stan stangrad-drupal at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Aug 11 01:56:13 UTC 2005

I have a couple of phpbb forums, and would like people to have the ability
to post to these forums via e-mail and receive forum messages via e-mail
if they so choose. In other words, I'm looking for "Yahoo Groups"-like
functionality.

Can Drupal do this?

I'm considering installing mailman and mail2forum which, combined with the
phpbb I already have installed, is supposed to do this.

I've also looked into mailgust, which might work, but isn't open source.

Is there a good/popular solution here? Suggestions? Opinions?

Is there another open-source product that does this? (combining separate
apps to perform a larger task is very Unix-y, but phpbb and mailman are
both fairly complex, so a single app that does both might be more useful).

I'm not married to phpbb-- my forums are small + I could easily transfer
them to drupal or another app. For example, I've heard phorum has mailing
list support built-in, though it doesn't quite seem to do what I want.

I've seen at least a couple of discussion threads that say "It's hard to
believe, but no such open-source product exists", but I don't believe them :)