[drupal-support] Generating RSS feed from a news aggregator c ategory

Adam Gaffin AGaffin at nww.com
Mon Aug 22 16:08:39 UTC 2005

> Hmmm.  Isn't that what I'm doing with the newsfeed
> "catigorizing".  The
> problem is that I can't figure out how to get an output news feed from
> the category.

Alas, no. Incoming feeds are kept separate from the rest of the content on
your site (so users can't leave comments on RSS posts or find individual
items via your search engine, for example).

> I don't have blogging installed.  Is this a feature of the
> blogging and
> blogging api?

It's a feature of the blog node type, so yes, you'd need to enable the blog
module (but not blogapi, which lets you post into your site from an offline
editor such as ecto or w.bloggar, i.e., it has nothing to do with incoming
RSS in this case). As an experiment, try this:

Enable the blog module. Go into your blocks admin console. Enable a block
for the Google feed. Now call up a page on which the block is enabled. The
block should list the 10 most recent posts from the feeds - and have a small
blue "b" next to each item. Click on the "b" next to an item and you'll get
a blog-entry form, with a title and description (pulled from the RSS)
already filled out. Assign it to a particular category, make sure it's set
as published and hit submit. You should now have an item in that category,
which means you'll have an RSS feed. The URL in the RSS feed will actually
be to the item on your site, but since the description will have a link to
the actual item on the other site, your readers will still be able to get
there without first going to your site (on the plus side, having a link to
your site means they will also be able to comment on the item on your site;
think of MetaFilter or Fark).

-- Adam