[support] RE: messed up URLs

Gregg Banse gbanse at farm-garden.com
Tue Dec 6 21:48:16 UTC 2005

Thanks for the responses,

> Looks like path_auto is(or was) in use, noticing that

path_auto was in use for a few hours several months ago but then I opted to use URL
aliases of my own creation.

> links/equipment_tools_supplies_farm looks very much like a path_auto
> generated URL.  My guess is that there might be some collision between
> path_auto links generated by the taxonomy vs. path_auto links generated
> for the content.  This is just a guess, but you might try examining your
> path_auto rules here to make sure the same prefixes aren't being used
> for taxonomy terms vs. pages.

I couldn't find any duplicates in the list of aliases.

> Another thing to check and report back on is, "Where are these 404's
> coming from?"  What is the referring page (If you can find that in your
> web server logs).  Give you a clue as to the source of the navigational
> error. It could also be relative links in embedded content created by
> tinyMCE or some such.  Viewing the source of the refferring page ought
> to help you track that down.  Does the source contain the double links?

Here are two lines from my logs.

ac5-webproxy26.direcpc.com - - [06/Dec/2005:12:11:30 -0700] "GET
/growing-vegetables/tomatoes HTTP/1.0" 200 17214
"http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-
8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-19,GGLG:en&q=tomatoes+in+newspaper"
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

ac5-webproxy26.direcpc.com - - [06/Dec/2005:12:11:31 -0700] "GET
/growing-vegetables/modules/event/event.js HTTP/1.0" 404 9595
"http://www.farm-garden.com/growing-vegetables/tomatoes"
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

The first GET looks like a legitimate search query at Google and in fact delivers a
legitimate page on my site when you click on the link from the SERP. The second GET
though .... And as you can see it delivers a 404.

I went to http://www.farm-garden.com/growing-vegetables/tomatoes and
checked all of the links and noted they all seem fine (e.g. they
point to legitimate resources).

FYI - I have noted on occasion that some page elements are not delivered - as if the
webserver times out. These are typically images and it doesn't always occur. Makes me
wonder if I've missed something in the setup or should somehow tune it.

TinyMCE is being used mostly for outbound links by my writers. I hand code all of my
links.

G.
gbanse at farm-garden.com

Farm & Garden