[drupal-support] DNS settings for multisite Drupal

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Wed Feb 9 18:56:26 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have been playing with the multisite Drupal, but I cannot get the DNS
settings right, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I have and old domain, partyfashion.net It contains a devel site HEAD, with
multisiste patches.

I used to have:
partyfashion.net. A 82.138.75.23
www.partyfashion.net. CNAME partyfashion.net.

which showed me the multisite thing worked: sites/www.partyfashion.net/ and
sites.partyfashion.net were called differently.

Now I added a
qrio.partyfashion.net. CNAME partyfashion.net.
but from then on things weant wrong. qrio.partyfashion.net now points to
82.138.75.23, which is  (or seems to be) the basedir of the host. This is
wrong.
After fiddling around a bit, i broke things even more:
www.partyfashion.net. CNAME partyfashion.net. is still in place, but the www
one now also points to the wrong direction.

So far the explanation. Can anyone tell me:
* what type of DNS (PTR, A, CNAME etc) I need to point a foo.mydomain.com to
mydomain.com, where the multisiste drupal resides.
* if its possible to use wildcards: e.g. *.partyfashion.net. CNAME
partyfashion.net. should get the settings from the multisite drupal. I only
have to add a folder in the sites dir, and no not have to go to my dns
settings everytime
* What type of settings I would need for a complete new domainame: e.g. if i
want foobar.com to use my multisite Drupal living in partyfashio.net.

If i manage to get my settings right, with some help. And if I start
understanding the DNS basics with that help, I will make this into a handbook
page: DNS settings for multisite Drupal.

Regards,
 Bèr
--
 [ Bèr Kessels | Drupal services www.webschuur.com ]