[drupal-support] Automatic updates check and upgrades

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Tue Feb 22 14:49:20 UTC 2005

Andrei Emeltchenko <andrei_emeltchenko at hotmail.com> writes:

 % Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

 % >>I use drupal for a long time and performed several upgrades. I just think
 % >>would it be better to automate update using some "check for update" button.
 % >>Is it too lame?

 % >Frankly, I think it is pretty lame. If people want a package system they
 % >should a Linux distro for which drupal is available as a package.

 % Then I have to ask my web hosting to give me the root password :)

 I have to concur with this. I have installed drupal in some
 places where the rules of the organization do not give
 me permenant access to the shell server. But do give me access
 to the web services of drupal.

 Even though I have a debian system at work and at home
 where I can use apt-get install drupal, there are clients
 where this is not feasable at all.

 Having an apt style system built in , where the client
 could do an "apt-get upgrade" style update of the site
 would be very valuable for the situations where the
 underlaying policies limit access to shell accounts.

 In the same way, the mailhandler package only work if you
 have rights to the configuration of the base machine.
 At some clients, I do not have the rights to recompile PHP
 to add the --with-imap function and so the mailhandler
 functions are lost.

 If they had used something like the squirellmail function set instead,
 the client would have mail handler functionality.

 So the base assumption that you have full control over the OS of
 the machine is invalid, sometimes because of the ISP policies.
 Sometimes because of the organizational policies. And sometimes
 because of conflicts between the of users of the same machine.

 So it is not lame to ask for tools that can solve this problem.
 I ran smack into it yesterday and was thinking the same
 thing...

 % >>Also each time I need to rewrite conf.php file after untarring archive
 % >>which is not handy.

 % >You should have renamed it to your.site.com.php. :)
 % >
 % >>Since this info doesn't change during upgrades I propose to rename
 % >>conf.php to config.php
 % >>and store there persistent information which will not be rewritten by
 % >>installing a new source.
 % >>
 % >>
 % >
 % >conf.php is now named settings.php and lives in sites/your.site.com/
 % >directory.
 % >
 % >
 %
 % In 4.5.2 from 2005-01-15 it is still conf.php
 %
 % >The support list is the wrong place for feature requests. Use the issue
 % >tracker instead.
 % >
 % >Cheers,
 % >	Gerhard
 % >
 % >
 %
 % I just wanted to check is there more elegant way to do it. At least with
 % configuration
 % file it seems I found it.
 %
 % Regards,